Focused And Personalized Attention
Concerning Your Estate Planning Needs

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Estate Planning
  4.  » Living Wills

Creation Of A Living Will That Meets Your Specific Needs

Every adult should have a living will. When you are not able to speak for yourself, who will make decisions regarding your health care? Do you want your doctor to take extreme measures to preserve your life? Do you want to die without medical intervention? Under what circumstances do you want a feeding tube?

As a resident of California, you can through a living will name a designated agent to make decisions on your behalf. The living will (also known as an advance health care directive) has replaced the durable power of attorney for health care. You do not need a lawyer to draft a living will. The state provides standard forms. If you are admitted to a hospital, staff will encourage you to fill out an advance health care directive to be included in your records. If you want me to prepare your living will, I will be more than happy to do so.

Making Certain Your Living Will Is Complete

Typical elements of a living will include:

  • Designation of an agent to make health care decisions on your behalf
  • Specific instructions regarding the use of a feeding tube, antibiotics or extreme measures such as life support
  • A “do not resuscitate” (DNR) order, common in the living will and on the medical charts of patients in the late stages of terminal conditions
  • Instructions regarding organ and tissue donation for transplants or research
  • Directions to your family or agent regarding the disposition of your remains and your funeral

As an estate planning attorney, it is my goal to keep my clients outside of court. In addition to a living will, I suggest that every person 18 years of age or older have at least a basic will. Properly drafted, these documents will ensure that your affairs are managed by a person you trust, in the way you want.

Careful Preparation Of Your Estate Planning Documents

If you would like to discuss representation or have another question about my firm, please contact my firm by calling 916-248-4465 or sending me an email at my Sacramento office to arrange for a consultation.