Jump to Navigation

Powers of Attorney

Sacramento Attorney: Power of Attorney

A simple document, the durable power of attorney (POA), should be on file for every person 18 years of age and over. The POA designates a representative to handle legal and financial matters on that person's behalf in the event the person becomes unable to handle these affairs. If you do not draft a durable POA and become incapacitated, the court will appoint a conservator to handle your affairs. Not only is a conservatorship expensive, a stranger may be making important decisions on your behalf.

Durable power of attorney

As your attorney, I will see that your estate plan includes a basic will, durable power of attorney and living will. During our discussions, I will help you identify the best candidate to be designated as a representative, usually a relative, friend, spouse or domestic partner. I then draft a clearly worded document stating under what circumstances that representative has power of attorney. I also prepare powers of attorney for specific purposes or short terms.

Whether you are interested in estate planning or elder law, it is important to work with a lawyer who has the experience and sensitivity to protect your interests. If you would like to discuss representation or have another question about my firm, please call (916) 248-4465 or e-mail my Sacramento, California, office to arrange a consultation.

Michael A. Sawamura, Attorney at Law

My Sacramento law practice, Michael A. Sawamura, Attorney at Law, focuses on wills, trusts and estate planning law in addition to business law and corporate defense services. My clients include professionals, government employees, small businesses, blue-collar workers and national corporations.